This blog, Toys for children with eczema has come about from a chat I just had with my son whilst shopping today for a paddling pool for the garden.
He’s 10 and is lucky enough not to suffer from eczema. He has dry skin but nothing to worry about. Compare this to my eldest son who suffers really bad with eczema.
Unfortunately, eczema is unpredictable and you never know if your child will be born with the skin condition. Maybe with more research, we can prevent more babies being born with this debilitating skin condition.
Anyway, I digress, So, There we were having a chat about a paddling pool for the garden. When he asks me ‘ Did you have a paddling pool when you were a kid dad? ‘
No, I replied, with my skin I wasn’t allowed to go swimming or play in the mud or make dens.
Why he replied?
And to be honest I couldn’t really tell him. Other than the lack of knowledge my mother had 47 years ago was very limited and she was afraid anything and everything would bring me out in a flare-up. I know now she was only trying to protect me but I definitely lost out on a lot of fun throughout my childhood.
Playing with eczema should be no different for your child to any other. Yes, you will need to protect them from the sun and moisturize more before they go out but let them have fun and enjoy their childhood.
Now, I totally understand some children have extreme eczema and are susceptible to infections and painful flare-ups at the slightest thing. For those children, I know there will be some limitations to what they can do.
Have we moved on?
This conversation got me thinking. Do we treat children with eczema any differently 47 years on?
Should we let them go swimming and play in the garden like other children and if so what protective measures should we use.
I was going to write an article about Toy for children with eczema and I searched on Google and to my pleasant surprise, there were very little searches for that sentence.
This is great news, it means children are not being alienated and separated from so-called normal children.
The only thing that popped up which we have already written a great helpful article about was Toys for children with asthma and allergies. In this article, we cover why it’s important to buy the right type of soft toys for babies with asthma and allergies to prevent them from aggravating their condition.
Click the link above if you have a baby or young child that suffers from asthma or allergies.
Playing with eczema – Why should eczema kids miss out?
What precautions should you take?
- Babies – Make sure their soft toys are asthma and allergy friendly soft toys and display the Asthma and Allergy friendly logo
- Playing in water – Protect their skin with a thick layer of moisturizer and use a full swimsuit.
- Sun – Use an organic eczema sunscreen like TruBaby lotion and moisturize them after playing in the sun. Keep them hydrated by drinking lots of water whilst playing.
- Mud and Dirt – Wear long sleeves and full-length trousers to prevent the dirt from getting into their skin. After, bath in a lukewarm bath using Kids Dead Sea Salts and pat dry and moisturize whilst their skin is still warm and damp.
Take every precaution you need to prevent your child from suffering after playing but don’t be afraid for them to have fun, experiment and test their limitations.
The only thing stopping them from having fun is you!
We went shopping.
After the conversation with my son, we decided to buy a new paddling/swimming pool for our garden. Whilst looking for a suitable one we also looked at some great garden toys, swings, and slides. He now has a new Birthday list LOL
If your child or Baby suffers from asthma and allergies, there are toys suitable. We reviewed some recently.
We have listed some of the amazing toys we found below. It’s the top 10 we both loved.
Please go visit our article called Soft Toys Suitable for Babies with Asthma and Allergies if your child is too young to play on these bigger garden toys. I’m sure you’ll find it packed with helpful information and toys to choose from. Toys for children with eczema should be no different to any other child’s toy.
Here’s our Top 10 Best Garden Toys 2018
We love the bright colors and water feature on this kids garden pool and slide.
- Keep cool with the movable Dino Arch water spray which attaches to a water hose
- An included soft slide with a landing pad will be a delight to everyone
- Water Capacity: 74 gallons (6in of wall height)
- Approximate inflated size: 131in L x 90in W x 44in H
- Age grade: 2+ years
This garden play center is suitable for children 2+. We like the fun design and the bright colors. The water isn’t very deep so younger children from 2+ will enjoy this.
- A soft slide with a landing pad allows you to slide and splash into the
- Plugging a garden hose into the Dragon Bop Bag sprayer will send water cascading across the pool! wading pool
- An inflatable lance & shield are included for lots of imaginative play in the castle; A drain plug is included for convenience; Age grade: 2+ years
- Approximate inflated size: 73″ L x 60″W x 42″H; Water capacity: 47 gallons (51/2″” of wall height); Maximum Weight Capacity: 178 lbs.
- Includes: Built-in water sprayer; Inflatable lance & shield; Waterslide and soft landing mat; Drain plug; Repair patch
We know this is a little extravagant but it’s worth the money. This playset is suitable for larger children.
- For backyard residential use only; unable to ship to a commercial address
- Assembled dimensions: 120″ x 122″ x 108″
- All premium, pre-cut lumber included
- Includes 2 swings, rock wall, picnic table, slide, and oversized canopy
- Each swing seat supports up to 115 pounds
- Cool Wave Slide features a lifetime warranty against cracks and breaks
- Meets and/or exceeds ASTM safety standards for backyard residential use only
Whether they are zooming down the cool wave slide, taking a whirl on one of the two durable swing seats, traversing the rock wall, or sitting for a spell at the under-deck table, your child’s sure to have hours of fun on this compact playset. It is ready-to-assemble and includes all accessories, lumber, slide, and fully illustrated instructions.
The Cool Wave Slide is proudly made in the USA, supports up to 250 pounds, and is backed by a lifetime warranty against cracks and breaks.
Sand Pits are a big hit with most children and this fort offers a nice sand pit with the added bonus of a shelter from the sun.
Best Choice Products presents the new Kids Rollaway Sandbox and Fort. This kids fort is built with multifunctionality, with the ability to roll away from the included sandbox. It is constructed with natural fir wood for a stable finish that will resist tough weather conditions. The canvas canopy allows little ones to stay cool and shaded. Store up to 600 pounds of sand in the sandbox and watch your child build castles for hours.
- Kids fort built with multifunctionality, with the ability to roll away from the included sandbox
- Constructed with natural fir wood for a stable finish that will resist tough weather conditions
- Canvas canopy allows little ones to stay cool and shaded
- Store up to 600 pounds of sand in the sandbox and watch your child build castles for hours
- Overall Dimensions: 45”(L) x 44.5“(W) x 54“(H); Weight Capacity: 400 lbs.
We love the safety of this swing, no matter how sore or bad your child’s eczema is, they can have a go in this swing as it offers support and comfort. They won’t move around too much in this supportive swing.
- Egg-shaped design features a high back & curved sides for extra support & swaddle
- Safety bar harness seat belt combine for a secure ride
- Sturdy, soft polypropylene 3-strand roping is weather resistant and won’t crack or splinter
- Durable, double-wall plastic construction
- Fully assembled and ready for play!
We love this Climbable Caterpillar. It reminds me of the storybook I used to read to our boys when they were younger.
This is a solid, colorful play center that’s suitable for 2-6-year-olds.
Let them climb. We all are a little fearful when our children start to climb but with this garden climbing frame, they can explore their love for climbing in the safety of your own garden.
Little adventurers can explore and discover from the peak of the summit. The authentic design makes this climber look like a real rock climbing wall. Four unique climbing surfaces create varying challenges. Featuring two climbing cargo nets, one mid-level platform net, and 12 junior hand grips. This kid’s climber offers a narrow top that challenges children to climb to the peak. An open-air hole on top of this climber allows little ones to peek out from the mountaintop view. Over 80″ tall, this rock climber will be a hit for years to come! Mounting hardware included. Made in USA of US and imported parts. Adult assembly required.
- Designed with four unique climbing surfaces to give children a variety of challenges
- Features 2 climbing cargo nets, 1-floor net and 9 grips
- Your child can peak out a hole at the peak of the summit
- Limit 4 children (maximum weight 320 lbs.); Limit 1 child on platform (maximum weight 80 lbs.)
- Adult Supervision Recommended
3 – Pop up play tent
We like this pop-up play tent because it has a bit of everything, tunnels, ball pool and shade from the sun. It’s a cheap and simple way to keep the kids having fun in the safety of your own garden and protected from the sun.
Designed in US country
★10 Different Combinations
★Suitable for indoor or outdoor
★Sets up in seconds & Private Space
★Extra-Large Tent for Extra Large Fun
★1-Year-Warranty & Ideal Festival Gifts
★Designed to protect especially children who love
★Innovative pop-up design – no assembly required
100% Polyester Fabric
Pops Up No Assembly Required
House dimensions: 47.6×47.6×55.5 inch
Cube dimensions: 47.6×39.7×51.5 inch
Tunnel dimensions: 19.3×59.4 inch
Box dimensions: 22.4×22.4 inch
2 – Costzon Inflatable Bounce House Castle
Everyone loves a bouncy castle right?
This is a mid-range priced bouncy castle that is suitable for children with eczema as it provides a safe and sheltered place to play.
It also has a slide!
You will need an air blower to blow this up. CLICK HERE
A great heavy duty bouncer house for your children to spare leisure time! Made by heavy-duty puncture proof 420D&800D Oxford materials with double to quadruple stitches, it is extraordinarily durable to bring much happiness to your children. Easy to set up & take down, it can be blown up quickly. You can carry this bounce house conveniently to anywhere by a durable carrying bag without the restriction of location for your children to enjoy the fun!
Note: Please use 680 Watt Blower (Not Included)
Material: Heavy Duty 420D Oxford & Heavy Duty 800D Oxford
Stitching: Double & Quadruple Stitched For Extra Strength
Max Occupancy: 3 Kids Or 300 Pounds Of Little Party-Hoppers
Dimensions: 10.5′ x 10′ x 8.2′(LxWxH)
OUR TOP NUMBER ONE TOP PICK
This has to be the ultimate garden play center. It offers everything your child could ever wish for. It’s like having a playground in your garden. You’ll never have to take them to the park ever again.
This is not the cheapest garden toy and we know it’s not an impulse buy, but we know that it would be a great investment and would last for years.
That’s why it’s our number 1 choice.
Castle Grey Metal Swing Set
Tube Steel Construction
A modern, fully-featured castle for the bravest of pretend knights and princesses. The Castle Grey swing set has a full spectrum of activities to exercise the muscles, mind and even those motor skills. The upper fort with its sleek shade roof and a steering wheel are accessible by scaling the challenging rock climbing wall, metal ladder tree and standard ladder. When those castle protectors slide back down to the ground floor, they might meet dragons swinging on one of the belt or web swings, or perhaps they will find a damsel locked in the lower fort playing on the Tic-Tac-Toe game table or resting on the map floor. The creative adventures await! One of Backyard Discovery’s first metal yard swing sets that incorporates a variety of imagination-inspiring elements.
We hope you find this blog eczema blog helpful. It’s a serious topic but we tried to make it fun. The whole point of this blog was to help you find a safe and controlled way to let your child enjoy their childhood even if their eczema tries to prevent them from doing so.
I lost many years of fun due to eczema. Don’t make the same mistake with your child.