Packing for a family holiday can be hard in itself without the worry about taking all your eczema creams and treatments onboard the plane.
Can you take eczema creams on a plane was one of the questions we had to Google ourselves recently when we went on our first family holiday in years.
We understand that times have changed and airports have introduced strict guidelines on what you can and can’t take onboard a plane due to security reasons.
In this article, we will cover all the essential information and helpful tips you’ll need to enjoy your family holiday and not let eczema spoil your fun.
We will cover:
- Can you take eczema creams on a plane
- How should you pack your creams and lotions
- Should you take evidence of the prescriptions
- Packing tips
- Suitable hand luggage
- should your routine change on holiday
Can I take eczema creams on a plane?
Yes, you can.
There are restrictions on the amount of liquids you can take in your hand luggage. If possible, pack liquids in your hold/carry baggage (luggage that you check in).
Most eczema creams are classed as liquids.
- Drinks, including water
- Liquid or semi-liquid foods, for example, jam’s and Soups
- Toiletries, including creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara and lip gloss
- Shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants
- Hair sprays and shower gel
- Contact lens solution
If you want to take liquids in your hand luggage, you must:
- Put them in containers that hold no more than 100ml
- containers must be transparent, resealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm
- Contents must fit easily inside the bag so it can be sealed fully.
- You must not tie a knot in the bag as customs officers may need to check the contents
- 1 plastic bag per person Max
- All bags should be shown and declared at the airport security point
The good news!!!
You’re allowed to carry essential medicines ( Eczema Creams ) of more than 100ml in your hand luggage, including liquid dietary foodstuffs and inhalers.
This restriction only applies to hand luggage, large tub of cream can be packed in your main luggage.
You’ll need supporting documentation from a relevant medical professional (for example a letter from your doctor or a copy of your prescription). The same applies to gel packs.
Airport staff might need to open the containers to screen the liquids at the security point.
The containers must have the prescription labels on the bottles or tubs and must match the name on the prescription evidence you take from the doctor.
It can also help if you have a Doctors letter describing the reason for your son or daughter needing the creams on holiday.
Make sure if you don’t have prescription creams and lotions then you need to decant the creams and lotions into clear sealable tubs.
Clearly label them with the type of cream inside and who it’s for and date when it was packed. Remember you can only take 100ml bottles in your hand luggage in a 20cm square clear plastic ziplock bag. A maximum of 1 Litre in total can be carried in your hand luggage.
Make sure your hand luggage fit the airport size requirements. All airports have their own size limits but most are around 56cm x 45cm x 25cm for a list of over 150 Airlines and their restrictions CLICK HERE
We found some great hand luggage on AMAZON at really low prices. The best one which is the one we purchased is the Ciao Carry on bag.
Should your eczema routine change on holiday?
Warm climates are good for eczema as long as you take precautions to protect your skin from the sun you should be fine.
Stick to your normal routine especially with young children and babies, you don’t want to undo all that great work you’ve been doing at home to manage their eczema.
Use an organic bug repellant like ALL NATURAL BUG SPRAY and an Organic sunscreen like TruKid Eczema Sunscreen. These products will provide safe and natural protection which won’t irritate their condition.
You may find that you need to moisturize more on holiday especially if you go swimming or playing on the beach. Use a suitable eczema cream like ORGANIC MANUKA HONEY CREAM
Essential things you’ll need for holiday packing
TRAVANDO Clear Toiletry Bag with 7 Bottles (max.3.38oz) | TSA Travel Set for Liquids | Transparent Zipper Bag for Cosmetics | Plastic PVC Airport Airline Security Luggage Organizer Pouch | Wash Kit
- ✅ TSA APPROVED - TRAVANDO Clear Bags are Fully Compliant with TSA 3-1-1 Rules and Regulations of ALL Airlines. Makes Traveling and Passing Through Domestic and International Security Quick and Easy. Save Time and No More Hold Ups or Hassles at the Airport
- ✅ TRAVEL BOTTLES INCLUDED - Comes with 7 leakproof Travel Bottles to fill up your own Cosmetics | 1x 3.38oz Spray, 2x 3.38oz Bottles, 3x 1oz Jars, 1x 0.27oz Perfume Atomizer
- ✅ CLEAR, DURABLE, REUSABLE - Airline Toiletries Bags are Transparent, Waterproof Travel Pack to Hold all Your Liquids. PVC is Premiere Strength and Built To Last with you for the Long-term
- ✅ SECURE & SAFE -Clear Toiletry Bags are made from a Durable Material that was Built to Last, and Strong Zipper Closure Ensures your Toiletries Stay Secure Inside. Carry Small, Plastic Containers Securely
- ✅ TRAVEL IN STYLE- Smart, Stylish Design. No More Sandwich or Ziplock Bags! Great for Men and Women. Detachable Handle allows Quick Grab or Hang. One Size Fits All Genders
GREENERWAYS ORGANIC Insect Repellent Travel Size, Premium, USDA Organic, DEET-FREE, Natural, Mini Repellent Spray, Travel Size Repellent, Mosquito-Repellant, Bug Spray 3-PACK - (3) 2oz - MSRP $23.97
$15.99 in stock
- TRAVEL INSECT REPELLENT USDA Organic and Safe Insect Repellent, Bug Spray, 3-Pack of 2 Oz Bug Spray
- PEST CONTROL - Kill Insects, Repel ALL mosquitos, Ticks, Flies, Chiggers, Mites, Sand Flies, Gnats
- NATURAL INSECT REPELLENT - USDA Organic, Non GMO, Premium Safe Repellent for Kids, Pets, DEET FREE
- BABY SAFE BUG SPRAY - Safe on clothes, hiking, fishing, hunting, camping gear, insect repellent clothing
- NO RISK FREE SHIPPING AND FREE RETURNS - BEST SELLING MOSQUITO REPELLENT AND BUG SPRAY GUARANTEE
Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50, 6oz Tube (Pack of 2)
$17.99 in stock
- No: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano-particles
- With plant-based and certified organic ingredients
- With NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend: our own blend of tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin and raspberry seed oils
- Broad spectrum SPF 50+ - UVA + UVB protection
- Pediatrician & Dermatologist tested
Organic Manuka Honey Eczema Cream, Psoriasis, Rosacea, Dermatitis and Rashes, Gentle for Babies & Children, Provides Instant & Lasting Relief for Severely Dry, Cracked, Itchy, Red & Irritated Skin
- ❀ EASY TO APPLY CREAMY BALM IS GENTLE ON HIGHLY SENSITIVE SKIN ❀ - Enjoy an organic, GMO-free natural eczema cream that is rich in soothing agents. Our creamy balm formulation is thick and moisturizing, easy to apply, but not overly greasy like typical oil based balms and is the best eczema cream to apply to severely dry, irritated skin and will not burn or sting even the most painful blemishes or open wounds.
- ❀ MOTHER-APPROVED CHILD AND BABY DIAPER RASH CREAM ❀ - This cloth diaper rash cream is ideal for treating your newborn diaper rash - a natural organic diaper rash cream and toddler eczema cream for kids the whole family will love.
- ❀ THE PERFECT ECZEMA PSORIASIS CREAM ❀ - If you're looking for a multi-use psoriasis treatment cream that can also provide relief as an all around skin rash cream. Ideal for use as a 100% organic rosacea cream and as an atopic dermatitis cream as well. An eczema hand cream that can also provide immediate relief on small wounds, minor cuts and burns.
- ❀ 100% ALL NATURAL ROSACEA TREATMENT CREAM ❀ - Tired of answering the question, "Why are you so red?". Try our rosacea relief cream and put an end to that embarrassing question. If you want the best rosacea cream for reducing spider veins, skin inflammation and restoring your natural skin coloring try our natural rosacea moisturizing cream.
- ❀ MANUKA HONEY HEALING POWERS ❀ - Recent studies show it's effective when used to treat wounds and skin ulcers and is effective in promoting healing by forming a protective barrier on the skin while guarding against bacteria and infection. Only New Zealand Manuka Honey provides an additional powerful antibacterial compound that is derived from bees pollinating the native Manuka Bush.
OPOLAR Battery Operated Fan, Personal Handheld Fan, 3-13 Working Hours, Portable, Rechargeable, 3 Speeds, Small Desk Fan with Internal and Side Light, Cooling for Boating,Travel,Camping, Fishing
$15.99 in stock
- 【ADJUSTABLE 3 SPEEDS AND LONG DURATION】-The portable fan speed can be adjusted among low, medium, high according to your demands. Battery works 3-13 hours in a full charge.
- 【PORTABLE AND COMPACT】-Small (3.94x1.58X5.9 inch) and exquisite, easily put into a bag inside. Weight (7.8 ounces), Perfect for outdoor activities and travel, or just place it on the desktop.
- 【STRONG WIND】-Thanks to OPOLAR's latest dynamic technology, the maximal fan rotating speed arrives to 3200rpm. More airflow, but less noise.
- 【USB OR BATTERY OPERATED】- Upgraded 2200mAh rechargeable battery (included) or by being connected with a USB cable (included) even use an adapter to plug into wall socket.
- 【SIDE AND INTERNAL LED LIGHT, ONE YEAR WARRANTY】- Side and internal light would be a big bonus for lighting. OPOLAR offers one year warranty against defects. Please be assured that we stand behind our product always.
Campela Baby Beach Tent Pop Up Sun Shelter - UV Protection Beach Shade for Baby, Infant and Family, size 58'x43'
- HANDY AND USEFUL: Campela baby beach tent is smart in its simplicity. It is very lightweight and easy to open and fold down. It has a smart cover which might contain not only the tent but also small toys that your baby would like to take together for a beach. Dimensions of a carrying bag: Ø 28'
- UV30+ (Ultraviolet Protection Factor 96%) - solid UV protection tent that will protect you and your kids from sunburn. It is made from high quality 100% polyester, waterproof 300MM, 180T high breathable fabric. It is just a good quality beach tent for babies.
- POP UP DESIGN: Easy to open and fold back. Campela beach tent you can take everywhere with you. It is lightweight, portable - perfect for a trip to beach or use by kids outdoor as a "play tent for kids"
- PERFECT VENTILATION: Thanks to the two windows at the side of the tent, Campela beach tent posses a unique ventilation feature. Due to the ventilation windows you can feel sea pacific breeze in the same time you are protected from sun and wind.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE AND MONEY REFUND: If you are not satisfied with purchase just ask for refund and you can send the baby umbrella back to us with no obligation and money back guarantee.
Trunki - Bernard the Bee (Yellow) Rolling Luggage - Kids Suitcase (1040)
- Family vacations and sleepovers just got even more fun with Trunki, "Luggage For Little People"!
- Trunki fits within standard 20 x 18 x 10 inches dimension requirements of scheduled, charter and low cost airlines.
- With it's spacious 14.75 gallon capacity, Trunki has plenty of room to pack it full of your child's toys, games, books and spare clothes needed on vacation.
- At home Trunki encourages pretend play and doubles as a toy trunk, seat and place to keep all your special stuff.
- Fun features include: Carry handles, Horn grips to steer your Trunki, Comfy saddle, Soft rubber trim to protect little fingers, Lightweight durable plastic, Internal pocket for special treasures, Teddy bear seatbelts (to keep teddy safe), and Tow/shoulder strap with ID key.
Eczema stops us doing a lot of things in life, but traveling shouldn’t be one of them. I love the warm weather and swimming in the sea which has its own benefits for eczema. You can read all about them in a blog we wrote called ‘ Is ocean water good for eczema?’
We hope we have explained the rule and regulations for packing eczema creams to take onboard the plane. If you’re still unsure please refer to your airports website for more details. In the UK click here, and for the US Click here.
The restriction at airports will not affect you if the creams and lotions you have are clearly labeled and in the correct size plastic bottles or if prescribed by your Doctor in the original tubs with labels on and a copy of your prescription.
So relax, and enjoy your holiday. It starts as soon as you get to the airport.
Have fun, send us a postcard!